I was looking for a delicious icing recipe that won’t give us cavity and obesity. SO my friend introduced me to cooked buttercream icing. Oh my. It requires less butter and less sugar and it tastes like a pudding. PUDDING IN BETWEEN CAKE LAYERS.*cries*
Anyhoot, here is the recipe...
Cooked Buttercream Icing
1 cup of milk
4 tablespoon of all purpose flour
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 cup sugar
1 cup softened butter
- Place the milk in a saucepan and whisk in the flour.
- Cook over medium high heat, stirring continuously, until it becomes a very thick smooth paste. This can take 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Beat the cooled flour/milk mixture vanilla on high speed for 4 minutes. It will become a smooth paste again.
- In a separate bowl combine sugar and butter together with an electric mixer.
- Blend on high for 4 minutes.
- Combine both mixtures together and beat on high speed with an electric mixer for 3-4 minutes until super fluffy.
Note: if making Cooked Chocolate Butter cream, add ¼ cup of chopped chocolate that is melted in the buttercream.
You could also tint the buttercream with coloring if you like.
Original recipe from here
I don’t have a proper picture but I used cooked chocolate buttercream in this cake.Soooo delicious that you could eat it on its own.